Thursday, June 2, 2011

a concert [& a slightly forced break]

[pt. 1]

Hey there,
I went to my first concert @ The Strand Preforming Arts Center in downtown York on Tues.
i went to see Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. I knew I'd love the concert, I'd seen Bela Fleck & co. before. They had reunited with Gordon Levy [piano & Hamonica, among jaw harp & other instruments]. This made familiar tunes seem recognizable, yet fresh. It was truly amazing to see him playing a harmonica with one hand & a piano with the other, playing a dizzying flurry of notes on both at once. Levy has replaced Jeff Coffin, who will be/ has joined the Dave Matthews Band. He, too is amazing when I saw them @ York College many years ago. Coffin [a sax player] he played 2 saxophones at one time. Drummer, Roy "Futureman" Wooten, this time out played both his self created "drumitar", as well as a small acoustic set. [playing both at the same time] These men are incredible. As well as very unique. I'm so gald I got to go. Better still, my friend Joe got to see them live for the first time. We had a great time hanging out before hand.

[to hear them]

I had never gone to the Strand before. If you haven't either. Go when you get the chance. It's a great venue. The staff were very helpful & friendly. We did not realize you can get food there. It's laid out very well. The gal who cuts my hair told me, when I wondered aloud, "there's not a bad seat in there". I admit, I thought, yeah... right. There really isn't a bad seat in there. It's a nice, smaller venue. For those of you with good ears,like me, the sound was mixed extremely well. Loud enough to feel like you were there, yet I didn't feel the need to wish I had brought my earplugs. [yes, I'm 40, & for more than the last 5 years I have taken earplugs to shows. I'd like to hear...as long as I live. Forgive me... or don't]. If you like architecture like me, get there early. The place is very well restored.

[pt. 2]
sigh... I am going to be on Prednisone for about 10 days or so. So I won't be posting much at all for the rest of June.

take care,
enjoy the adventure,
see you in July,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment